I’m way behind in updating my posts for the sample piece that I’m working on. So, I’m just going write a quick post to catch up with the dyeing process:
Dyeing second warp:
I scoured the warp in the same way as the first warp.
I used the same warping/wrapping board and design for the second warp, with the intention that the lac design will work between the two layers as they alternate. But this time I wrapped half inch bundles instead of quarter inch bundles. I won’t know for sure until I get both layers spread on the loom to compare them, but I suspect the quarter inch, while more difficult, gave me better results.
On the second warp I only used Lac and indigo.
-Lac: I used 5 grams of Alum; 5 grams of cream of tartar; and 5 grams of lac (1 1/2 tsp). I really liked the color I ended up with using the lac. It’s pretty much identical on both warps, and didn’t change color when being dipped in the other dyes. Which is surprising, as it was mixed with both Indigo and weld on the first warp, and then with a higher concentration of indigo on the second warp.
-Indigo: For the indigo, I used 4 Tblsp calx and 2 tsp indigo for the stock solution. The first warp was dipped for a minute and then put in water for 30 minutes. The second warp was dipped 3 times for 2 minutes each time at 30 minute intervals.
-Rinse: I rinsed the warps by alternately rinsing them under hot running water and bathing them in a solution of H20, vinegar, and synthrapol. It took about a 1/2 hour for the all blue stain to be removed.
All in all, I’m please with the results of the dye process. However, I would have like a bit more contrast in the blues. Next time I’ll dip the darker warp more times, and work at getting a deeper weld yellow for more of a teal cast to the lighter warp.